You may have been wondering if I’ve quit the blog altogether since it’s been a month, as of today, since I posted an entry here. I apologize for the extended absence, and offer you my excuses.
1. I had to tile my bathroom. I bought the tile two Thanksgivings ago, and I simply had to get ‘er done. Amanda had been VERY patient with me, and I simply ran out of excuses!
2. Then a close friend of our family died. Don was a former church member who retired and moved away last October. Connie decided to have the funeral back here, and I had the honor and responsibility of preaching the funeral, since I was their pastor for nearly a decade. This happened in the middle of my tile job, and it took up most of my week a to help plan and accomplish what was needed of me.
3. The very next week I went to the Expositor’s Conference in Mobile, AL with my good pastor-friend Rob. At the time I did not have a laptop, so I think I was only even able to check email once the whole time on a public computer.
4. Then, Doug, a disciple of mine, and one of my best friends in the world moved to Virginia, so we tried to spend time with them before they left.
5. All of these interruptions to my normal schedule pushed back all of my appointments, so I’ve been running hard to catch up on meetings and lunch appointments and such for the last 2-3 weeks. This, while my tile job remained unfinished, and our master bathroom out of service.
6. I’ve had some significant counseling emergencies that arose in the midst of my catching up that took even more time. These never come at convenient times, either. Especially since I’ve been cramming anyway!
7. Through all of this, I’ve had to continue to prepare my sermon manuscripts each Sunday, a Bible Study lesson each Sunday night, prepare the order of worship for each morning service (choose songs, etc.), publish the bulletin, and read and prepare Systematic Theology notes for our men’s discipleship group that meets every other Wednesday night (we’re using Grudem’s Systematic Theology). I can’t tell you how hard it has been to get my normal pastoral preaching and teaching duties done. I have been burning the candle at both ends for over a month now. A lot of late nights and early mornings. I’m kinda exhausted, but I did finally get the bathroom done (after 5 weeks!).
8. Now, I’m in Orlando, FL all week at the Ligonier Pastor’s Conference (with Rob). I’m writing this on my new MacBook Pro 17″ (yes, it’s awesome!). But, the week is packed with sessions, so blogging won’t be on the top of my list, especially since I have to keep what will be an intense counseling session this Saturday with a couple I know, preach and teach this Sunday, prepare worship, and prepare for Discipleship and an elder’s meeting the following week. It never ends!
9. All of this has made keeping up with what’s going on in the blogosphere and in the news really tough. I’ve skimmed news and blog headlines for a month now, but haven’t read much. So, it’s made it hard to respond to things and give my own commentary and perspective on things on this blog. I hope things will slow down a bit.
10. My family has been gracious, but has been neglected through all of these demands, so any extra time I’ve been able to spy out, I’ve tried to give to them by making myself leave my home office and spend time with them.
Thanks for being patient with me. I will be back soon (I hope). Pray for me to get some rest and to catch up (while I try to keep up!). This is the way it is sometimes in ministry in a small church with a big family (4 kids). It ain’t always easy, but it’s sure makes you sleep well at night (’cause you know you better sleep while you can)!
Speaking of…….I’m exhausted. I’m going to bed. See ya later.